At CES Las Vegas in January this year Midland USA introduced a mobile version of the USA version of European PMR446. (See my blog of 14 January 2015).
Midland Europe promised to have a similar European version very soon and now they claim to have it available mid-December of this year.
It is called the Midland GB1.
Midland GB1 is a PMR446 portable transceiver. Mobile versions for this European standard is not allowed, but Midland found a legal way to bring this
on the market.
The technical standard for PMR446 tells us the antenna must be fixed to the transceiver. If that is not the case you can create a mobile device for PMR446 and that is not allowed.
The trick is that the standard does not describe how the antenna is connected. Midland chooses to have a fixed antenna, but there is a coax cable of 4 meter between the radio and the antenna, and so the coax is part of the antenna system.
A technical legal solution that makes it possible to create a ‘mobile’ device for PMR446. We only can say “Midland WELL DONE” as this will be a good solution for many users.
First shipment from Midland to Avera-Distributing is expected mid December. Place your orders now to get supply from the first delivery.
This what Midland has to say about the new midland GB1:
Midland introduces into the market the first vehicular PMR446 ever realized.
GB1, small and compact, has a metal chassis guaranteeing sturdiness and durability.
Even if reminding you of a CB, it works on the frequencies of a standard PMR466, with the advantage of not being subject to interferences and noise generated by vehicle engines.
The integrated magnetic antenna and the 12V socket allow immediate installation and a wider range than a CB.
Ideal for campers, cars and campings, GB1 can be used as a base station to talk to any walkie-talkie in range and use the PMR446 as never done before.
– Microprocessor-controlled frequency
– ‘Flip’ function: the radio can be mounted with the speaker facing up or down; the display can read in either orientation
– Adjustable squelch on 9 levels
– SCAN function
– LCD display
– Integrated magnetic antenna
– TOT (Time out timer)*
– Side tone: noise blanker at end of transmission
– Monitor function
– Busy channel (BCLO-Busy Channel Lockout)*
– Broad/narrow band selection 25KHz/12.5KHz (only export version)*
– High/low power (only export version)
– Frequency: 446.00625 – 446.09375 MHz (440 – 471MHz export version)
– Channels: 8 + 91 programmable with CTCSS
– Channel spacing: 12,5KHz ( 12,5KHz / 25KHZ export version)
– Output power: 0,5W (5W export version)
– Power supply: 12,6Vdc
Packging and codes:
Midland p/n CTE C1198 = Midland GB1
Box single pack:
Radio, microphone, microphone holder, integrated wired magnetic antenna, mounting bracket, fixing screws, supply cable with 12V car charger.
Midland p/n CTE C1227 = Midland PRG-GB1
Complete with USB cable to connect to a PC.